Irv’s Coastal Crab CakesClick to print
By Chef Irv Miller
Makes 4-5 cakes
- 1 pound fresh jumbo lump blue crab
- 4 tablespoons red sweet pepper, diced fine
- 4 tablespoons red onion, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons Coleman’s dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce
- 2 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all purporse flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Remove any cartilage from the crabmeat.
Do not break up lump crab.
- Heat small-sized sauté pan over medium heat and add butter.
- When butter begins to bubble, add the diced peppers and onions. Sauté until tender; about two minutes.
- Transfer sautéed peppers and onions to a plate to cool.
- Place picked crabmeat in a large-sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the egg to blend, then add the whipping cream, cooled peppers, Old Bay seasoning, Louisiana hot sauce, and dry mustard. Blend evenly.
- Pour this mixture over the crabmeat and delicately toss to blend.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the mixture and gently toss again to blend.
- Let mixture sit for 30 minutes.
- Form into delicate mounds of 3 or 4 ounce patties.
- Preheat a sauté pan or griddle on medium heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil and small piece of butter.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper mixture, then lightly dust the crab cakes.
- Sauté about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and firm.
Recipe compliments of Jackson’s Restaurant, Pensacola, Florida